Chilling Out in the Summer by Deroy Murdock
‘Climate change’ you can’t
The Washington Times, Sunday July 12, 2009
Reprinted by permission
Issues For Life Topic Page
As “cap-and-trade” advocates tie their knickers in knots over so-called global warming, Mother Nature refuses to cooperate. Earth’s temperatures continue a chill that began 11 years ago. As global cooling accelerates, global warmists kick, scream and push their pet theory – just like little children who cover their ears and stomp their feet when older children tell them not to bother waiting up for Santa Clause on Christmas Eve.
Consider how the globe cooled last month.
● June in Manhattan averaged 67.5 degrees Fahrenheit, 3.7 degrees below normal – the coldest average since 1958. The National Weather Service stated July 1: “The last time that Central Park hit 85 in May. . . but not in June, was back in 1903.”
● In Phoenix, June’s high temperatures were below 100 degrees for 15 days straight. The June average in California’s desert Yucca Valley was 83.5, which was 8.5 degrees below normal. Downtown Los Angeles averaged 74.5 degrees,l5 degrees below normal.
● Boston saw temperatures 4.7 degrees below normal. “This is the second coldest average high temp since 1872,” veteran meteorologist and Weather Channel alumnus Joseph D’Aleo reports at Icecap.com. “It has been so cool and so cloudy that trees in northern New England are starting to show colors that normally first appear in September.” Looking abroad, Mr. D’Aleo notes: “Southern Brazil had one of the coldest Junes in decades, and New Zealand has had unusual cold and snow again this year.”
● New Zealand’s National Climate Center issued a June 2 press release headlined, “Temperature: Lowest ever for many areas, colder than normal for all.”
● South African officials say cold weather killed two vagrants in the Eastern Cape. Both slept outdoors June 26 and froze to death.
Simmer down, global warmists report. These are mere anecdotes, handpicked to make the warmists looks silly. Well, one would be foolish to challenge space-born satellites that guage Earth’s mean temperatures – cold, hot and average. Here again, evidence of global cooling accumulates like snow drifts.
“There has been no significant global warming since 1995, no warming since 1998, and global cooling for the past few years,” former U.S. Senate Environment Committee spokesman Marc Morano writes at CimateDepot.com. Citing metrics gathered by Roy Spences of the University of Alabama at Huntsville, Mr. Morano adds: “The latest global averaged satellite temperature data for June 2009 reveal yet another drop in Earth’s temperature. … Despite his dire warning, the Earth has cooled 0.74 degrees F since former Vice President Al Gore released ‘An Inconvenient Truth’ in 2006.”
Earth’s temperatures fall even as the planet spins within what global warmists consider a thickening cloud of toxic carbon dioxide.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Earth System Research Laboratory at Mauna Loa, Hawaii, consistently and reliably has measured CO2 for the past 50 years. CO2 concentration of 314.67 parts per million (ppm). Flash forward to December 1998, about when global cooling reappeared. CO2 already had increased to 366.87 ppm. By December 2008, CO2 had advanced to 385.54 ppm, a significant 5.088 percent growth in one decade.
This capsizes the carbon-phobic global-warmist argument. For Earth’s temperatures to sink, while CO2 rises contradicts global warmism as thoroughly as learning that fire-fighters can battle blazes by spraying them with gasoline.
So, to defeat so-called global warming, there is no need for the $864 billion Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade bill, the Kyoto Protocolis, elaborate new regulations or U.N. guidelines. Instead, let the cold times roll.
It is one thing to have a national debate about a serious problem, with adults differing over what solution might work best. Reasonable people, for instance, can dispute whether growing federal involvement would heal or inflame our health care system’s serious maladies.
as so-called global warming proves fictional, those who would shackle the
economy with taxes and regulations to fight mythology increasingly resemble
deinstiutionalized derelicts on an urban street corner, wildly swattting at
their own imaginary monsters.
Issues For Life Topic Page